The independent London newspaper

Accused denies being involved in Kilburn gun murder

Defendant says he himself was shot two months before Yasir Beshira was killed

21 September, 2017 — By Tom Foot

Yasir Beshira died after being shot in the stomach

A STOLEN car dealer charged with the murder of a former school friend told the Old Bailey how he himself had been shot by a gunman two months earlier.

Sammi Tesfazgi, of Lithos Road, West Hampstead, denies being involved in the shooting murder of Yasir Beshira, a low-level drug dealer known as “Loopy”. The 21-year-old victim died from a wound to his stomach after being fired at in a side street off Kilburn High Road in December last year.

A teenager, who cannot be named because of his age, is accused of pulling the trigger – but prosecutors say Mr Tesfazgi and another accomplice, Rilind Tahiri, 22, knowingly drove the boy to commit the crime in a stolen Range Rover.

During his evidence from the dock on Tuesday morning, 20-year-old Mr Tesfazgi told how he was shot four times in Fellows Road, Swiss Cottage, in the months leading up to Mr Beshira’s death and showed the court how four bullets had pierced his arm as he sheltered his face from an attacker.

“I remember being on my way to Belsize Park and a guy pulled up with a balaclava and all black clothes,” Mr Tesfazgi told the court. “He came to the passenger window and shot me. It was a pistol.” At the start of his evidence to the court, Mr Tesfazgi was asked what he did for a living. He replied: “I was buying and selling stolen cars.”

He also told the court he went to school with Mr Beshira, and considered himself a friend of his family – although he added that he had not seen him for more than a year before his death. On the day that Mr Beshira was shot, Mr Tesfazgi said he and Mr Tahiri drove the co-accused to Sherriff Road in West Hampstead, so he could buy £600 worth of cannabis from a dealer on the Webheath estate.

The deal did not happen and the three drove away, Mr Tesfazgi said. Later that day, he said he went with Mr Tahiri to Westcroft estate in Cricklewood to sell a stolen Jaguar to “a friend”. It was there he heard a “rumour” that “some little white kid” had shot Mr Beshira. He said he decided to get rid of his phone the next day in fear of being implicated, he told the court.

The trial continues.


Share this story

Post a comment