Calvin Bungisa murder: Detective tells inquest that police are still searching for two suspects
Inquest hears how ambush killers wore masks and dressed in black
05 October, 2020 — By Bronwen Weatherby
Calvin Bungisa died on April 1 last year
A YOUNG man chased by a group of masked attackers was killed in a “deliberate” and “brutal” attack, a coroner said today (Monday), as the victim’s mother begged police to catch her son’s killers.
Calvin Bungisa, 22, died on the corner of Grafton Road, Gospel Oak on April 1, last year but his murder still remains unsolved.
A coroner’s inquest heard today that he had been killed by men who were dressed completely in black and carrying long knives, believed to be machetes or swords.
He was stabbed multiple times and died shortly afterwards despite paramedics’ attempts to save his life.
During the hearing at St Pancras Coroner’s Court, it was heard how video footage both of a getaway car – a black Volkswagen Bora – and the attack itself exists but witnesses and police have been unable to identify the killers.
Detective Superintendent Stephen Elliott, leading the murder investigation, spoke at the inquest via videocall, telling the court: “We also had a number of witnesses who saw the incident give statements. But all said the same thing, that all they saw was the dark clothing and masks and none of them would be able to formally identify the assailants.
“We were able to track the vehicle [used by the assailants] on CCTV before and after the attack. The vehicle was found a few hours after, a few miles away, having been burnt out. It had been stolen a few days before.
Tributes left to Calvin
“Significant forensic work was carried out on the car, at the scene and on a blade recovered under Calvin but the damage to the car was extensive and we were only able to find one fingerprint on the outside of the car.”
“The person whose fingerprints were found on the car has been questioned,” DS Elliott said.
“We’ve made a number of arrests of people we believe to be involved, so far six people, and there are two outstanding who are not available to us at the moment but they are actively being sought. All of those interviewed declined to answer our questions. We are still proactively investigating this case,” he added.
Calvin’s mother Celine Bungisa, who watched the proceedings via video link, addressed the detective, saying: “The only thing I want to say is please find who killed Calvin.”
A post mortem carried out by forensic pathologist Ashley Fegan-Earl found Mr Bungisa had sustained multiple stab wounds with at least three of them proving to be fatal. It is believed a variety of weapons may have been used including long knives and possibly a screwdriver, with some at least 14 cm long.
Police believe Mr Bungisa, who lived on the Ampthill Square Estate, may have received a telephone call in the hours before his death with disturbing news but officers have been unable to determine what the phone call was about.
Coroner Mary Hassell said: “It is entirely clear to me that he [Calvin] was stabbed repeatedly by several persons on the evening of the April 1. This was a deliberate and sustained attack. It was brutal. I have made a determination of death by unlawful killing.”
Turning to his mother, she said: “Ms Bungisa I’m so very, very sorry for the loss of your son. It was a loss of a young life completely needlessly.”