The independent London newspaper

Calvin Bungisa murder: Funeral for young man stabbed in Gospel Oak

Detectives say they are 'working all hours' to catch killers

06 June, 2019 — By Tom Foot

Calvin Bungisa was attacked on April 1 but nobody has been arrested [Photos: Mary Carson]

DETECTIVES said last night (Wednesday) they have been “working all hours” as the murder inquiry into the death of a young man stabbed to death entered its third month without anybody being arrested.

Calvin Bungisa, 22, died from multiple stab wounds after being attacked in Grafton Road, Gospel Oak, on April 1. The Met has renewed its appeal for witnesses to come forward following the 22-year-old’s funeral at Our Lady Help Of Christians Church in Lady Margaret Road, Kentish Town, on Saturday.

A brass band played outside the church as ­family, friends and supporters walked behind the hearse drawn by two white horses.

He was later buried in Islington and St Pancras cemetery in East Finchley. Many of mourners stood by the grave wearing black T-shirts printed with Calvin’s image.

The funeral followed two public meetings in Queen’s Crescent on how to tackle knife crime, and a football tournament in Malden Road played in his honour. Campaigners from Camden also joined a London-wide march against rising knife crime in central London in the wake of his death.

Calvin died close to where Sadiq Aadam Mohammed, 20, was stabbed to death in Malden Road in February 2018 – one of two killings on the same night.

Mary Carson, a mother of three who attended Calvin’s funeral, said: “This is not mission impossible and there is too much at stake for politicians, community elders and the government to keep blaming but doing nothing real to tackle the underlying problem. The killing is an end symptom.”

The Met believe that several male suspects ran out of Vicar’s Road and chased Calvin down Grafton Road on the evening of the murder.

Calvin Bungisa

They then ran back into Vicar’s Road and got into a car, which drove off in the direction of Weedington Road, police said.


The aftermath of the attack was caught on “dashcam” footage from a car. A car believed to be connected to the killing was later found burnt out and a music video, uploaded to the web days before Calvin’s murder, is believed to have formed part of the inquiry.

Superintendent David Moorhead, from Camden and Islington Basic Command Unit, told a Gospel Oak community “pro­gress” meeting in April that there would be an increase in stop and search. At the same time, Detective Chief

Inspector Mark Cranwell, who is leading the murder investigation, said: “He has a mother, sister, brothers and grand­mother who are grieving and need to know why he was killed.”

Anyone with information can speak to police officers or call Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.


Share this story

Post a comment