The independent London newspaper

Camden murders: Police arrest teenager as detectives appeal for public’s help

Two killings and a serious stabbing brought together under one investigation

23 February, 2018 — By William McLennan

Abdikarim Hassan died from a stab wound to the chest in Kentish Town

DETECTIVES investigating the two murders in Camden on Tuesday evening have arrested a teenager.

The 18-year-old is being held at a police station in east London. It follows the deaths of Abdikarim Hassan, 17, who was stabbed to death in Islip Street, Kentish Town, and Sadiq Aadam, 20, who died in Malden Road, Queen’s Crescent, around 90 minutes later.

Police are this morning (Friday) expanding their appeal for help from the public with the two murders and a serious stabbing in Somers Town, also on Tuesday evening, being brought together under one investigation.

Detective Chief Inspector Paul Considine, leading the investigation, said: “What is clear is that there were three violent attacks, by a group of men armed with knives, within about two hours of each other and within about a mile of each other.I need the public’s help to establish the exact circumstances in which two young men were murdered and another seriously injured, and to identify the people responsible.”

He added: “Today, I am asking local residents or those people who were out in the area that night to think back – and if they saw something that may help us, please get in contact. I can understand why some people may be reluctant or nervous about coming forward but we need your help. We will treat your information in the strictest of confidence. I also believe that there are people out there who knows exactly who is responsible. I would urge you to do the right thing and tell us what you know. It is not too late.”

Sadiq Aadam was attacked in Malden Road

Four young men were arrested on Wednesday in relation to a stabbing in Aldenham Street, Somers Town, which has left a 16-year-old boy with knife injuries. He is not in a life-threatening condition. Officers from the Territorial Support Group were in the area when they saw a silver Mercedes head into Eversholt Street. The officers were in the process of following the car in their carrier when they were flagged down by a member of the public and were directed to the injured teen outside a block of flats. Police believe he had been chased in Chalton Street.

Around 30 minutes later, Abdikarim Hassan died from a stab wound to the chest in Kentish Town, and then shortly after 10pm Sadiq Aadam was killed near Queen’s Crescent.

DCI Considine said: “Two families are suffering a terrible loss, and you could hold the answers to what happened to their sons, brothers, loved ones, best friendsThe frequency with which young men are prepared to take each others’ lives is shocking. We all have a part to play in preventing this. If you know something about these murders then please do your part in helping us with this investigation.”

He added: “One line of enquiry that we are urgently pursuing is that a blue van was seen in the area of the two murders. If you saw a vehicle that caused you concern due to how it was being driven or the people inside it then please get in touch with us.”

Anyone with any information is asked to contact the investigation team on 020 8345 3734, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

Share this story

Post a comment