The independent London newspaper

Candle sparks New Year’s Day flat fire in Kentish Town

01 January, 2018 — By Geoffrey Sawyer

FIREFIGHTERS issued a warning about unattended candles after putting out a blaze in Kentish Town in the early hours of New Year’s Day (Monday).

The fire damaged part of a ground floor flat in Ascham Street. Nobody was injured with the flat’s residents believed to be out at the time.

Watch manager Matt Gregory was at the scene and said: “Candles are one of the most common causes of fire. It’s really important that you never leave a candle unattended and keep them away from anything that can easily catch fire.”

He added: “This incident is also a timely reminder about the importance of having working smoke alarms in your property. Everyone should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of their home. This will give the earliest warning if there is a fire. As a minimum you should have smoke alarms on every floor – in the hallways and the rooms you use the most, plus a heat alarm in the kitchen.”


Share this story

Post a comment