CamdenNewJournal

The independent London newspaper

Hunt for stab killer goes on after two men walk free from murder trial

Met will not comment on what work is going to find other suspects

21 February, 2020 — By Samantha Booth

DETECTIVES say an investigation into the death of a young South Hampstead man remains open after two students were cleared by a court.

Officers say they believe a number of people were involved in the incident last summer which saw Cabdullahi Hassan, 20, stabbed.

Mohammed Mahir Miah and Amil Choudhury, both 20, walked free from the Old Bailey last week after being found not guilty of murder, and the attempted murder of Mr Hassan’s cousin.

The Met’s murder squad reacted to the verdicts by appealing for fresh information.

Detective Chief Inspector Simon Stancombe, leading the investigation, said: “We respect the findings of the court and the investigation into the death of Cabdullahi Hassan, and the attempted murder of his friend remains open. We believe that a number of people were involved in the attack on Cabdullahi and I would ask anyone with any information get in touch with police.”

Cabdullahi Hassan

The prosecution had alleged Mr Hassan, from Abbey Road, was stabbed to death on the Abbey Road estate in a “revenge” attack on July 25 after a row at South Hampstead railway station earlier in the day.

Prosecutor Oliver Glasgow said Cabdullahi had punched a man called Kamel Hassan there. Defendants Miah and Choudhury, who are cousins from Westminster, had alleged Kamel was also in a car driven to the estate that night.

The trial was told Kamel had left the country the day after the stabbing and has not returned. Some other men who were named in the trial also left the UK. Mr Choudhury admitted driving to the estate but he denied knowing that any violence was about to take place.

He told the court in evidence that as they drove, Kamel Hassan instructed him to follow a car at junctions, which eventually led them to the estate.

Mr Choudhury said he felt “betrayed” by Kamel, adding: “I was basically thinking, I did him a favour and he’s put me in this position, my cousin is injured because of him.”

Likewise, Mr Miah said he was stabbed during the incident but claims he had no prior knowledge that violence would unfold.

While giving evidence with a crutch, he said he had gone along and had got out of the car to have a cigarette before the confrontation involving others started nearby.

Asked what work is going into finding other suspects, the Met said they would not go into any further detail for “operational reasons”.

The case was one of eight murder investigations to have been launched by police in Camden last year.

Anyone with information is urged to call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

Share this story

Post a comment

,