CamdenNewJournal

The independent London newspaper

Islington Survivors of child abuse: ‘Review is a massive step back’

No evidence of organised abuse in Islington care homes before the 90s, barrister rules

09 November, 2018 — By Emily Finch

Whistleblower Dr Liz Davies 

A WHISTLEBLOWER who exposed widespread abuse in the borough’s children’s homes has condemned a new review ordered by Islington as “a massive step back and an insult to survivors”.

The Town Hall published a report on Wednesday from leading barrister Sarah Morgan QC who examined whether a former mayor had links to a pro-paedophile group and whether this had any influence on her work as a councillor in the 1980s to 90s.

Ms Morgan was also asked to investigate if any of her new findings would have made a difference to the White Report – a paper released in 1995 following the inquiry into management of child care in Islington.

The review is expected to cost £180,000 but the Tribune understands that figure has ballooned to around £300,000 because of delays caused by problems accessing archival material.

The report by Ms Morgan concluded that the Town Hall should not reopen or restart the inquiry looking at their historic management of children’s

homes and how they cared for at-risk children. It also says that Ms Morgan “did not see evidence of organised abuse”.

Social worker Liz Davies, who heads the Islington Survivors’ Net- work, and was one of the first to raise awareness of the abuse, said: “This is a major insult to survivors. How can she say organised abuse didn’t exist? So many survivors are absolutely distraught by the findings.

“We need a searching police investigation, but this report puts us back by 20 years. It reminds me of when I was first a whistleblower and being ignored by everyone.”

In her report, Ms Morgan said: “What I did see was evidence that one of the ways in which children living in residential care in Islington in the time before the White Report were vulnerable, was to being abused sexually, and that they were so abused.”

Islington Town Hall where interviews for the review took place

She also highlighted that there had been “social services, inter- agency and police investigations” into the abuse across the borough’s care homes in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s which found no evidence of organised abuse.

But Ms Davies said some of the case studies used by Ms Morgan were examples of organised abuse because of multiple perpetrators targeting one child.

“Since the White Report there has been so much more knowledge about the organised abuse in Islington,” said Ms Davies.

“So many convictions expose this. I am not a liar. An investigation which looks at organised abuse will target more abusers. It will expose the facilitators and colluders. It’s about protecting children.”

She called for a comprehensive and wide- reaching redress scheme for children put in harm’s way by Islington Council before the early 1990s.

One survivor, following the release of the report, said: “We know the truth and we will continue to fight on. We must.”

The Town Hall leader, Cllr Richard Watts, said “we accept all the report’s conclusions and expectations” and said he would not be opening or reopen- ing an inquiry into non- recent abuse in the children’s homes.

Town Hall leader Cllr Richard Watts 

He added: “We have apologised before for the council’s failure to protect vulnerable children in its care in the 1970s, 1980s and 1990s, and today we repeat that apology.

“Today’s report again sets out starkly the failings in Islington’s children’s homes up to the early 1990s, which were utterly horrifying.

“As acknowledged in today’s report, the council today is a very different organisation. Protecting children from harm is our top priority.

“We are also commit- ted to supporting survivors of child abuse and have put in place a package of support for survivors, which includes access to psychological support and counselling, personal advice on issues such as housing, access to benefits and individual support.”

The Independent Inquiry on Child Sexual Abuse, a nationwide inquiry set up in 2014 by the then Home Secretary Theresa May, confirmed that they had received a copy of the report from the Town Hall yesterday (Thursday).

Survivors of abuse in Islington who would like to access help and support can email: survivorsupport@islington.gov.uk

Categories

Share this story

Post a comment

,