Jazztastic final days of London festival
16 November, 2017 — By Sebastian Taylor
Heidi Vogel sings at the National Portrait Gallery on November 17
There’s a wealth of jazz gigs still being played in the last three days of the huge EFG London Jazz Festival.
You can take your pick from “The Golden Age of Steam” and “Monk at 100” through to the “Gareth Lochrane Big Band” and “Ella at 100” – and dozens more beside.
Very selective highlights include:
Friday, November 17:
• Get out your dancing shoes and jitterbug like nonsense: Jazz Social Dance with music played by Tomorrow’s Warriors. The Clore Ballroom/Southbank Centre, 2pm, free.
• Heidi Vogel sings in response to NPG’s Cezanne Portraits, National Portrait Gallery, 6.30pm, free.
• Album launch: MasterChef judge/jazz pianist Jay Rayner’s quartet plays items from A Night of Food and Agony, Cadogan Hall, 7.30pm.
• Alex Garnett’s Organism: two tenor saxophonists lock horns with jazz organist, Green Note, 8.30pm.
• Double bill: Golden Age of Steam + Ivo Neame’s new quartet, Con Cellar Bar, 9pm.
Marcel Lucont is Live at Zédel, Saturday 18th
Saturday, November 18
• Come & Play: NYJO Jazz Jam, Ray’s Jazz at Foyles, 12 noon, free.
• Daylight Music double bill: Kit Downes plays mighty chapel pipe organ + Hermes Experiment, Union Chapel, 12noon, ‘pay-what-you-can’ suggested amount is £5
• Afro-jazz, hard bop and urban rhythms: Clement Regert’s Wild Card, Spice of Life, 8pm,
• Debaucherous, delightful and debonair: Marcel Lucont’s Cabaret Jazztastique, Live at Zédel, 9pm
Jay Rayner’s Quarter play Cadogan Hall, Friday and Clare Teal is at St John’s Smith Square on Sunday 19th
Sunday, November 19
• Luscious orchestrations/fiery grooves: Gareth Lockrane Big Band, Spice of Life, 1.30pm.
• Swinging, emotive songs: Clare Teal and her Mini Big Band, St John’s Smith Square, 2.30pm
• Expect the Unexpected: house band improvises on musical jazz ideas commissioned from 25 composers, Club Inégales, 4-9pm.
• The EFG London Jazz Festival runs until Sunday November 19. Full details at http://efglondonjazzfestival.org.uk