Men pinned to floor by armed police in Queen’s Crescent ‘hard stop’ were not arrested
No arrests were made after a search found the car to be "satisfactory"
09 October, 2017 — By William McLennan
The dramatic operation was captured on camera
A group of young men who were filmed being bundled out of a car at gunpoint by armed police were released a short time later without being arrested.
Officers swamped the car in Queen’s Crescent at around 9pm on Thursday and forced the driver and passengers to the floor, following a shooting earlier that evening in Kentish Town.
Police confirmed today (Monday) none of the men in the video, who were “detained for the purposes of a search”, were arrested. The car was “found to be satisfactory” following a search, police said.
The New Journal has been provided with footage of the police operation, believed to have involved the controversial tactic known as a “hard stop”, which took place in front of stunned shoppers.
With guns trained on the men, police yelled: “Get on the floor now. Keep your hands still. Do not move your hands.”
Armed officers were patrolling the area amid heightened tensions following a shooting in Carters Close, off Torriano Avenue, at around 7:30pm. No one is believed to have been injured in the gun attack.
A neighbour told the New Journal: “A boy came on to the estate with a gun and fired at a group of people stood by a wall.”
Another said: “I was scared. I heard maybe five bangs, they were really loud. My mum said they were fireworks, but I couldn’t see anything in the sky.”
Police remained at the scene of the shooting throughout Friday, carrying out a finger-tip search of the carpark.
Officers from the Met’s gang crime unit, Trident, are investigating.