The independent London newspaper

Mother of woman killed in police car collision faces long wait for answers

'My whole life now revolves around getting answers and justice for Jade'

19 November, 2020 — By Bronwen Weatherby

Noreen Mutua with a treasured photo of daughter Jade

THE mother of a young woman who died after being hit by a police car has said she will remain “in limbo” until she gets answers about her daughter’s death.

Jade Mutua, from West Hampstead, died in August 2019 two days after the collision.

An Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) investigation has now finished, but the family are still waiting for a coroner’s inquest to set out the facts.

Noreen Mutua, Jade’s mother, said: “It’s now been over a year and I feel like it’s going on for this long because Jade’s case involves the police and they don’t want to admit to any wrongdoing. But I’m desperate, I’m in limbo until I get answers.”

The collision happened in Warwick Road, Kensington, with the officers driving the car said to have been responding to an emergency.

According to Ms Mutua, Jade, 22, had been waiting for her boyfriend, who lived in the area, when she was hit. She was taken to hospital and placed on life support, but her injuries were so severe doctors could not save her.

Jade had grown up in Kentish Town and attended St Michael’s Primary School in Camden Street, Camden Town, and then Maria Fidelis Catholic School in Somers Town.

The assistant coroner in neighbouring Westminster last week said the service is still awaiting a number of relevant reports, but it is unknown from whom.

Jade Mutua

Ms Mutua said: “I don’t want to be angry at them for taking their time, in a way I’d prefer if they did take their time and make sure they find out exactly what happened but I just don’t want them to forget about her. I think the police are keen to delay this especially after the Black Lives Matter protests but I want to be clear: I don’t think what happened to Jade was to do with racism, and I don’t believe those police officers set out to hurt my daughter.”

She added: “This is not about hatred, as I often think about how this must’ve affected them and the lives of their families as well. Can you imagine going home and having to tell your family you killed someone’s ­little girl?

“But it happened, and my whole life now revolves around getting answers and justice for Jade.”

Jade had been training to be a dentist and two days before her death had moved into her own flat with her dog, Baby. The pet now lives with Ms Mutua.

“She was my only daughter. I was 19 when I had her, and we were almost like sisters. I’m alone without her,” Ms Mutua said.

An IOPC spokesperson said a copy of its report and its findings has been sent to the Met Police and that it will now assist the coroner with the inquest, adding: “Our thoughts and sympathies remain with them, Miss Mutua’s friends and all those involved in the incident.”

The Met said it had “fully co-operated” with the IOPC and would do so with an inquest.

Share this story

Post a comment