Murder suspect ‘fled to France’
Two young men died on the same night
24 January, 2020 — By Samantha Booth
Sadiq Mohamed and Abdikarim Hassan
A TEENAGER was arrested in France on suspicion of being part of a series of attacks which saw two young men stabbed to death in Camden on the same night, a trial has heard.
Godwin Lunghy, 19, is charged with the murder of 20-year-old Sadiq Mohamed and violent disorder on February 20, 2018.
Opening the trial at the Old Bailey, prosecutor Julian Evans said Mr Lunghy, who was living in Tottenham, had left the UK for France weeks after the night of violence in Camden and Hackney, two years ago which also saw 18-year-old Abdikarim Hassan fatally stabbed.
Mr Evans said: “He was arrested there and he was returned to this country and since he has been charged.” When he was arrested at the airport, his iPhone was seized and inspected, Mr Evans said.
Mr Evans said the prosecution suggest that he “fled to France in order to avoid being arrested” and that he knows “the roles performed by others”.
Also on trial is Anuoluwa Temenu, 20, who is charged with wounding, attempted wounding and the murder of Mr Hassan.
Mr Evans described how a group of young men “embarked upon a series of violent attacks” in Camden and Hackney. The five incidents took place over two hours using two different stolen vehicles – a silver series 3 BMW and a dark blue Ford Transit van, he said.
Mr Evans added: “These two young men had been stabbed in the street. They both died from the injuries they sustained in those attacks. They had been set upon by people armed with knives, both had been attacked without provocation.” The court heard just after 10pm, the van pulled over on Prince of Wales Road in Kentish Town where Mr Mohamed and another man were chased.
Mr Mohamed climbed into a parked car and asked the driver to “go” but the driver thought she was being robbed so got out of the vehicle, jurors were told.
He was then dragged out of the car and stabbed several times, including one wound which was 12cm deep.
Mr Lunghy denies any involvement that night.
The trial continues. Two other men were convicted of Mr Mohamed’s murder at a trial last year.
- No categories
Share this story
Post a comment
- No categories