Community centre members rush to aid of gunshot victim in Queen’s Crescent
The man in his 30s was helped using a 'bleed kit' bought by the centre following murder of Calvin Bungisa
27 April, 2020 — By Tom Foot
Air ambulance lands near scene of shooting (Pic: Chris Atkins @scatakins)
A MAN in his 30s staggered into a crowded community centre with gunshot wounds as members handed out take-home sunset Iftar meals for Ramadan.
Young people at the centre, which was distributing parcels to dozens of members as Camden’s second largest foodbank, helped bandage up the victim using a “bleed kit” that had been bought by the Queen’s Crescent Community Association following the murder of Calvin Bungisa in Grafton Road last year.
Armed police attended and the man, who is believed to have been shot in a drive-by around 7.40pm tonight (Monday), was taken to hospital by ambulance. Police have not yet made any arrests.
Foyezur Miah, chief executive of the QCCA, told the New Journal: “He walked in limping and telling us he has been shot, it looked like his left side. He looked frightened, he was trying to hide in the corridors.
“He was able to talk, able to walk. Armed police arrived. They were here in five minutes, seven minutes tops. An air ambulance came. But he was taken by a standard ambulance to hospital.
“We were doing Iftar for the local residents here. We have been doing that for four days or so. The young people were very quick to help.
“He had been sitting on a chair and the young people, who were here, there was a bleed kit – they used that on him. The kit is specifically for people who have been shot and stabbed. After Calvin [Bungisa], we had sourced one.”
Calvin Bungisa, 22, from Queen’s Crescent, was stabbed to death in April last year. His killers have not been found.
Mr Miah said: “The kits are developed specifically because so many lives could have been saved if the response could have been faster. There is quite a lot of materials in there, bandages, straps to stop the bleeding, straps for the legs.
“We had got it because of the increase in knife crime, before the virus issue.”
Mr Miah was speaking from the centre tonight at 10pm. It had been sealed off as a crime scene but tomorrow it will reopen as a food bank for those affected by the coronavirus.
He said: “All our work is now for the foodbank. We are Camden’s second biggest foodbank. We’ll have a clean and get on with it. People were going home to rest, and then this happened.”
He added: “We had just been talking about how Queen’s Crescent had become a crime free zone with the coronavirus.”
A police statement said they were called at 19.38 to Queens Crescent following reports of a shooting. The man was later described as being a non life-threatening.
Witnesses or those with information are asked to call 101 stating reference number CAD 6524/27 Apr.