CamdenNewJournal

The independent London newspaper

Nashon Esbrand’s mother says ‘justice done’ as Jack Stevens convicted of murder

Nashon Esbrand was fatally stabbed in August 2017 just yards from the home of his mother

15 March, 2019 — By Emily Finch

Princess Barton with friends and family at the Old Bailey last year.

A MOTHER has said “justice has been carried out” after a jury at the Old Bailey convicted her son’s attacker of murder this week.

Princess Barton, from Canonbury, spoke to the Tribune on Wednesday shortly after Jack Stevens, 19, of Pultney Street, was found guilty of murdering Nashon Esbrand, following a two-week trial.

The jury were told that Stevens “orchestrated” and was “central” to the attack on Nashon, 27, in August 2017 which saw the new father chased by five youths on push bikes down the Essex Road before he was fatally stabbed just yards from his mother’s house in Mitichison Road.

Ms Barton said: “My heart is still fluttering but justice has been carried out.”

Nashon Esbrand

She added: “This won’t bring back Nashon but I am happy. I want to thank my children – they were so supportive. If I didn’t have them I don’t know what I would have done. I want to thank my barrister and the community for supporting me too.”

Ms Barton, alongside her remaining adult children, was present at every day of Stevens’s trial. She was also present at the trial of Jhon Berhane, 18, Dillon Zambon, 20, and a 16- year-old who cannot be named because of his age, which took place in June last year.

Stevens was only tried this month because he had to be extradited from Spain.

“I had to leave court during some parts of the trial. It was a nightmare to sit through the evidence twice. As far as I am concerned they were cowards, the people who killed Nashon. Now, I have to try to do what Nashon wanted. I know he would have wanted me to be strong. But it’s very very hard. He had a daughter who he was so proud of. I thank God that he lived to see her but it’s heartbreaking he won’t get to see her grow up.”

The jury heard that Nashon was spotted by Stevens minutes after he said goodbye to his newborn baby girl in Essex Road. CCTV footage showed to the court saw Stevens make a call to Berhane who quickly brought other youths to the scene who chased Nashon before the 16- year-old stabbed Nashon in the leg, severing a major artery. Stevens was tried under joint enterprise laws.

The jury were told during the first week that Stevens had “fled the familiarity of London life to escape prosecution”.

He was arrested in the Costa del Sol in Spain and returned to England through a European arrest warrant.

The court was shown a rap music video made by the members of the Cally Boyz gang – named after the Caledonian Road which showed Stevens.

Stevens will be sentenced at the Old Bailey next Friday.

Share this story

Post a comment

,