CamdenNewJournal

The independent London newspaper

Paul Farrell: Former Great Ormond Street hospital porter charged with 17 more child sex offences

Court hears there could be as many as 30 more victims

05 February, 2021 — By Bronwen Weatherby

Great Ormond Street hospital where Paul Farrell worked for three decades

A FORMER Great Ormond Street hospital porter from Kentish Town has pleaded to new child sex offences. 

Paul Farrell, 55, appeared at Wood Green Crown Court today (Friday) accused of another 17 offences against a boy between the ages of six to 11 in the 1990s – 13 of which he pleaded guilt. 

The charges include indecent assault on a minor and gross indecency on a child under 14.

Mr Farrell has previously been charged with a total of 96 offences on eight young boys including rape, attempted rape and sexual assault of a child under 13.

He has pleaded guilty to 69 of those charges. The youngest victim is said to have been five years old.

The victims, who cannot be named for legal reasons, are now aged between eight and 43.

Mr Farrell was employed at the world-renowned children’s hospital between the 1990s and 2020 when he was suspended due to the ongoing police investigation. 

He was first arrested on January 16 last year, according to the Met Police, and later appeared at Highbury Magistrates’ Court, although a charge sheet also includes an allegation of a sexual assault “during lockdown” in June.

There is an ongoing investigation being carried out by the Met’s Central North Command Unit safeguarding team, officers that work across Camden and Islington.

Crown prosecutor Paul Douglass told Her Honour Judge Joanna Greenberg there could be as many as 30 more victims.

Mr Douglass said: “There haven’t been any allegations made which would substantiate the claim that he [Farrell] committed offences against patients at the hospital…

“This is a wide ranging investigation and not something that can be done quickly.”

Although none of the victims who have so far come forward were patients of the hospital, at least three of them have said they were taken by Mr Farrell to the hospital where they were abused in areas he had keys to.

The Crown Prosecution Service say they are currently pursuing a trial again Farrell for a number of the charges he pleaded not guilty to today (Friday).

In a statement published in November, Great Ormond Street Hospital said: “These charges relating to a former member of GOSH staff are awful.

“It is upsetting to hear in court today that some of the charges relate to the hospital site. It is important to stress, as stated by the judge today, that GOSH patients were not targeted.

“We will continue to support the police as they progress the case but we know many people will have concerns and questions.

“Due to the ongoing legal proceedings, we are really limited in what we can say, but we can confirm again that Paul Farrell was dismissed from the Trust.

“Safeguarding is fundamental to the care we provide. We review our safeguarding policies regularly and they are in line with national best practice and we have a dedicated safeguarding team who are the point of contact for all concerns and referrals. All our staff are required to carry out safeguarding training appropriate to their role.

The hospital’s spokesperson added: “If anyone is concerned by what they have read in the media, the NSPCC have a helpline available on 0800 101 996 or email help@nspcc.org.uk.”

Share this story

Post a comment

,