Róisín Gadelrab’s music news: Christeene; Danny Bryant; Richard Strange; JC Stewart
19 September, 2019 — By Róisín Gadelrab
PERFORMANCE artist and musician Christeene performs Sinéad O’Connor’s The Lion and the Cobra at The Barbican on Sept 22 with her live band, led by Peter Stopschinski, dancers T Gravel and Dawg Elf and special guests Peaches and John Grant.
• The Chesterf!elds came to prominence as part of the “C-86” scene, along with The Wedding Present, Primal Scream and The Soup Dragons in the late ‘80s. Now, 35 years after they first formed in Yeovil, they return to play The 100 Club tomorrow (Friday) with a newly reformed group, which also features Andy Strickland of The Loft & The Caretaker Race. Support from The Waltones, Rodney Allen and Dai-Nichi.
• Blues national treasure Danny Bryant plays Dingwalls tomorrow (Friday) in support of his new album, Means of Escape.
• Kate NV, the solo project of Kate Shilonosova, front-girl of Moscow post-punk band “ГШ”, is joined by Lisokot for a special show at Kings Place tomorrow (Friday).
• The London Punk Festival takes over 229 on Saturday with Anti-Nowhere League, Ramonas, Steve Ignorant & Slice Of Life, Chron Gen, Discharge, Knock Off, Vice Squad and Criminal Mind.
• Fans of The Boss should head over the Oval Space on Saturday when Hungry Heart, the world’s first Bruce Springsteen dedicated club night (or so they claim!) celebrates the musician’s 70th birthday. Expect seven hours of non-stop Springsteen.
• Friends of the late musician and JCM founder member Jon Hiseman, present JCM – In Memory of Jon Hiseman, at the 100 Club on Sunday.The band’s remaining members, Clem Clempson and Mark Clarke, are taking the tribute tour around the UK, completing their line-up with Ralph Salmins on drums, after JCM’s 2018 tour was cancelled due to Hiseman’s ill health.
• Acclaimed guitar maestro Paul Gilbert takes his Behold Electric Guitar tour – marking the release of his 15th solo album – to Islington Academy on Sunday.
• Irish singer-songwriter JC Stewart plays a four-night sold-out residency at The Islington from Sept 23-26.
• BBC Radio 6 Music DJ Matt Everitt is the next guest at the Union Club’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Book Club on Sept 25 where he will discuss his book The First Time: Stories & Songs from Music Icons.
Young The Giant
• Young The Giant play a special acoustic show at Oslo on Sept 24 before they plug right in at the Electric Ballroom on Sept 25.
• Estonian musician Tuulikki Bartosik plays Heath Street Baptist Church on Sept 26 accompanied by Timo Alakotila.
• Notable gigs this week: ROAM + With Confidence, O2 Islington (Sept 21); Sports Team, The Forum; Suzanne Ciani, Kings Place; Marika Hackman, Islington Assembly Hall (Sept 26).
• Actor and musician Richard Strange (formerly of proto-punk band The Doctors of Madnesss) performs The songs of Lou Reed at Islington Academy on Sept 24, joined by Terry Edwards (PJ Harvey, NJE), Kevin Armstrong (Iggy Pop, David Bowie), Paul Cuddeford (Steve Harley, Ian Hunter), Florence Sabeva (Earl Slick) and Dave Imby (Kid Creole).