The independent London newspaper

Romeo Nkansah: Murder accused tells court he acted in self-defence

Father-of-two died after being stabbed in Camden Town, jury told

08 November, 2018 — By Emily French

A MAN accused of a knife murder near Camden High Street told a court yesterday (Wednesday) that he had swung the blade in self-defence.

Romeo Nkansah died last May after a night out in the Stables Market, Camden Town. The 37-year-old was stabbed following a fight in Greenland Street, a jury at Wood Green Crown Court has been told, and died from a four-centimetre wound.

In the dock, Zekeria Quabdid denies murdering the father-of-two. Cross-examined in court by defence barrister Paul Keleher QC, Mr Quabdid said he had “grabbed” the knife from Mr Nkansah, who he said had initially lunged at him.

He told the court: “I leaned forwards and snatched [the knife] out of his hand. I grabbed it between the handle and the blade. I swung it at him for them to stop coming towards me. It happened so quick, my body was reacting to the situation at the time.”

Earlier in the week, a jury heard evidence from passers-by who rushed to help Mr Nkansah at the corner of Greenland Street and Camden High Street where he had collapsed.

Cameron Glasgow, who had been walking past, said in a statement read to the court by prosecutor Louis Malby QC: “I saw he was covered in blood, he said: ‘I am going to die.’ I quickly called for an ambulance. I applied pressure to his wound while waiting for an ambulance to arrive. I applied pressure to his chest area using his blazer. “There was so much blood, I didn’t see the injury. I helped the male onto the stretcher.”

Mr Nkansah was taken by ambulance to St Mary’s Hospital in Paddington where he was operated on and received a blood transfusion but was declared dead at 4.37am. A male witness, who spoke from behind a curtain, told the jury on Tuesday that he had heard a voice shouting “come into the alley”, before the stabbing took place.

The jury was told that Mr Nkansah, who lived in Finsbury Park, had no drugs in his system at the time of his death and his blood-alcohol level was below the legal driving limit. On Tuesday, the jury were shown grainy CCTV footage from Greenland Street where Mr Nkansah was found collapsed.

Detective Chief constable Stephen Little, a CCTV expert from the Met, told the jury that the clip showed Mr Quabdid making “three contacts or potential contacts” with Mr Nkansah.

Share this story

Post a comment