Sign the petition on Highgate Newtown Community Centre
18 October, 2018
Demonstrators outside Highgate Newtown Community Centre
• FURTHER to your report (Community centre demonstrators tell Town Hall: Save Our Hall!, October 11), we should like to emphasise that the proposals for new community facilities as part of the redevelopment of Highgate Newtown Community Centre can only partially replace the existing community centre in terms of space, equipment, and facilities.
There are, we would suggest, very strong reasons for retaining the original gospel hall:
• it was donated to the community by a wealthy benefactor (Elizabeth Coutts) along with the rest of the HNCC site;
• it offers unique facilities, has a stage, a screen, exceptionally good acoustics, a parquet floor, and is airy and spacious;
• it is thus perfect for drama, music and dance activities as well as for activities such as gym, pilates, yoga, and for training / study courses and community functions;
• it is listed by Camden;
• it is in excellent condition;
• it was recently rebuilt by Camden in its current form at considerable expense to the borough’s taxpayers.
For those wishing to support our petition to retain this gospel hall as a community facility, please follow the link: www.change.org/p/luke-joyce-camden-gov-uk-save-highgate-newtown-community-centre-facilities or, alternatively, send objections to firstname.lastname@example.org.