Young man stabbed to death in ‘revenge’ attack, Old Bailey told
Two men on trial over 20-year-old's death last July
24 January, 2020 — By Samantha Booth
A YOUNG man was stabbed to death in an alleged “revenge” attack in South Hampstead, a murder trial has heard.
Cabdullahi Hassan, 20, was stabbed five times on July 25 near Ainsworth House on the Alexandra and Ainsworth estate and died at St Mary’s Hospital.
Amil Choudhury, 20 and Mohammed Mahir Miah, 20, both from Westminster, are charged with murder of Mr Hassan and with attempted murder against Mr Hassan’s 22-year-old cousin.
There are alternate charges of manslaughter and wounding intent. Both deny all of the charges.
Opening the case on Tuesday at the Old Bailey, prosecutor Oliver Glasgow QC said a group of men, some armed with knives, attacked the pair last year.
Mr Glasgow said: “The violence that evening appears not to have been random, since the attacking group had travelled to Ainsworth House plainly ready and looking for violence.
“Whilst the precise reason for the brutal nature of the attack is still unclear, it would appear that trouble first arose earlier that afternoon at South Hampstead train station.”
Just before 5pm the same day, Mr Hassan, from Abbey Road, chased a man into the train station and the two of them had a brief struggle, Mr Glasgow said.
They were separated by friends but on the way out of the station, Mr Hassan punched another man and struggled with another.
Mr Glasgow said: “Quite why Cabdullahi Hassan had assaulted any of those three is unclear, but by the end of that short but unattractive episode, Cabdullahi Hassan had managed to either use or threaten violence towards three men, all of whom were friends with each other.
“It would appear that one or more of those three was not prepared to let the matter lie and revenge was the object of the fatal violence later that evening.”
Phone calls were made between the two defendants and one of the men involved in the “fracas” at the train station.
Mr Glasgow said analysis of the defendant’s mobile phones shows they both travelled together in Mr Choudhury’s Audi A3 to the estate and on their way called one of the men involved at the station earlier.
He said the reason for these calls and the journey to Ainsworth House was that one of the men from the earlier incident “wanted help in settling the score for what had happened earlier that day at south Hampstead train station”.
Two cars travelled to the scene just before midnight on July 25.
Mr Glasgow said Mr Hassan and his cousin “stood no chance” against the “larger and armed group”.
“The focus of the attack was upon Cabdullahi Hassan, which was why he sustained so many injuries, but the attacking group clearly wanted to exact a deadly revenge for the perceived sleight they thought had been caused,” he said.
He said Mr Hassan and his cousin were “were left for dead as their attackers ran back to the two cars in which they had arrived and in which they then escaped”.
Mr Miah was stabbed during the violence – the second stab wound severed an artery in his leg and he was bleeding heavily. Mr Glasgow said Mr Choudhury drove him back to his home address – where he collapsed in the lobby – instead of taking him to hospital.
Mr Miah was found in the lobby and at hospital he had a blood transfusion to replace the blood he lost. A blood trial led from where the two victims lay to the car park, where the two cars had fled the scene.
Mr Glasgow said emergency services arrived at the scene by Ainsworth House to find a scene of “chaos and carnage”.
Mr Hassan was rushed to hospital but his heart had stopped beating en-route. Emergency surgery was performed but “the damage from the stab wounds to his chest and back was too severe and he could not be saved”, the court heard.
His cousin sustained a slash wound to his forehead and a stab wound to his back but he was not seriously injured.
The prosecution say anyone who took part in the physical violence or who assisted are guilty of the murder and attempted murder.
“The attackers had gone in numbers to ensure that Cabdullahi Hassan and anyone he was with could easily be overpowered and the attackers had come armed in order to enable them to inflict as much harm as possible,” he said.
Mr Glasgow said Mr Choudhury is expected to claim he had no idea there was going to be any violence that night and Mr Miah will alleged he was a victim in the violence and was not armed with a weapon.
“It’s is the Crown’s case, that no matter what may have been said or done by Cabdullahi Hassan or anyone else to provoke the violence, there is nothing that these two defendants can say to excuse the murderous attack,” Mr Glasgow said.
The trial continues.