Tenor Jose Carreras forced to cancel exclusive Kenwood gig due to bad weather
High wind and poor ground conditions led to safety risk
16 June, 2019
JOSE Carreras, known as the ‘world’s greatest tenor’ was forced to cancel an exclusive performance at Kenwood House today (Sunday) after the site was rated as too dangerous for concert goers.
Organisers said in a statement to ticket-holders: “We regret to announce that in the interest of customer safety we have had to take the decision to cancel today’s event under advice from our safety officers. This is due to high winds conditions and poor ground conditions.”
Carreras, 72, is on what has been described as a ‘farewell tour’ with the open air booking on Hampstead Heath considered a jewel in his calendar of dates. It had been billed as his opportunity to ‘say goodbye to London’. Those who had tickets can secure a full refund, the statement added.
“I am so very disappointed that this evening’s concert at Kenwood House has been cancelled,” the singer said. “On the promoters advice and the safety officials I cannot possibly risk the safety of my dear audience. I am very disappointed and I hope to come back to the UK very soon.”