‘We are good to go’, says school headteacher ahead of lockdown re-opening
Plan in place at Regent High
21 May, 2020 — By Richard Osley
Gary Moore dials in
THE headteacher at one of Camden’s largest secondary schools says a plan is in place for the return of some pupils and it is “good to go”.
Gary Moore at Regent High School in Somers Town said children would be given full details of how their lessons would operate on their return next month, when they would also be asked what they had done while the gates had been locked due to the coronavirus crisis.
He said on Friday: “We are good to go from June 1 at Regent High School, that first week we are going to do assemblies for Year 10 in very small groups so they know what our plan is moving forward.” At secondary school level, pupils with exams next year will be the first to return to classes.
Other year groups face waiting until the start of the next academic term in September.
Mr Moore was a speaker at a “round table” video call with youth organisations, youth MPs, councillors and Holborn and St Pancras MP Sir Keir Starmer, the leader of the Labour Party.
“From June 8, we will be going with lessons, starting with English and Maths and trying to close not just the gap but a chasm that will have been opened up, particularly in literacy and numeracy,” he said.
“That’s week two, and then in weeks three and four, we will begin to look at those option subjects following on. The starting point will be what have the youngsters done while they have been at home and then we will drive the learning forward from there.”
Mr Moore said one of the points he had taken from the videocall meeting, organised by the council to hear how young people were coping during the lockdown, was the “anxiety” older pupils were now facing about university applications. They have uncertainty about whether they will get a place or how higher education will be run.
“I sympathise with your plight,” said Mr Moore.
The headteacher, however, said he had been “struck by how resilient young people have been”, adding that they had been determined to keep on learning despite school closures.
“We’ve had just under 90 per cent of all our pupils accessing the online learning,” he told the meeting. “I appreciate that in a school the size of mine, that’s just over 100 youngsters who haven’t been accessing it but we’ve been able to engage with those families and we have been able to provide paper resources. They’ve been able to collect those at reception.”