CamdenNewJournal

The independent London newspaper

‘We have a moral responsibility’, says vicar over solar panel roof

St Mary's Church in Primrose Hill says it is committed to helping future generations

16 October, 2018 — By Tom Foot

A HISTORIC church wants to cover half its roof in environment-boosting solar panels.

The vicar of St Mary’s in Primrose Hill says it is the largest church in the country to commit to renewable energy in this way. The church, she adds, has a “moral responsibility” to combat climate change that is the biggest “existential threat of our time”.

The Rev Prebendary Marjorie Brown, who has been at the Elsworthy Road church for 10 years, said: “The church council unanimously supports the installation of solar panels on the roof in order to reduce our electricity bills and generate extra energy for the community. This is in line with our commitment to helping to sustain the environment for future generations. We are grateful for the way the community has really got behind this project.”

The church hopes the panels will achieve a net reduction of 11.5 tonnes of CO2 a year. Of the energy created, 80 per cent will be sold on to the National Grid – with the remaining 20 per cent used by the church. In 10 years, savings will start being made.

How St Mary’s would look with the panels

Ms Brown said the photovoltaic panels would be installed for mainly environmental reasons, rather than financial savings. The project will cost £40,000 -£50,000. A planning application has been submitted to Camden Council with a supportive petition signed by 150 people.

Categories

Share this story

Post a comment

,