The independent London newspaper

West End Lane restaurant blaze caused by ‘cooking oil being left unattended on gas burner’

35 firefighters tackled blaze in West Hampstead

11 June, 2018 — By Richard Osley

Firefighters at the scene in West End Lane on Friday [Photo: Ian Cohen]

FIRE investigators say a blaze at a Chinese restaurant in West Hampstead was caused by cooking oil being left unattended on a hob.

The fire on Friday afternoon then spread, according to the London Fire Brigade, to oil and grease in ducting to the rear of the Gung Ho restaurant in West End Lane. The Brigade said a first floor kitchen, ducting, the second floor and flat roof were damaged by the fire.

“This incident is a timely reminder that you should never leave cooking unattended and if you do have to leave the room, always turn the heat off,” the Brigade said in a statement. “It’s also important for restaurant and take-away owners to make sure their extraction systems are kept clean as a build up of fat and grease within the filters can lead to a fire.”

Six fire engines and 35 firefighters and officers from West Hampstead, Kentish Town, Soho fire stations attended the incident.


Share this story

Post a comment