CamdenNewJournal

The independent London newspaper

Young men on trial over night of violence which claimed two lives

Sadiq Moham­ed, 20, and Abdikarim Hassan, 18, died after being stabbed in two separate incidents

16 January, 2020 — By Samantha Booth

Abdikarim Hassan and Sadiq Mohamed

TWO young men are on trial accused of being involved in a series of attacks which saw two Camden men  stabbed to death nearly two years ago.

Godwin Lunghy, 19, is charged with the murder of 20-year-old Sadiq Mohamed and violent disorder on February 20, 2018. The Old Bailey heard how he left the country to go to France weeks after but was brought back and charged.

Anuoluwa Temenu, 20, is charged with wounding, attempted wounding and the murder of 18-year-old Abdikarim Hassan. The Hackney man is facing a re-trial as a previous jury at a trial last year did not reach a verdict. Both deny the charges.

Two men have already been convicted in the case.

Isaiah Popoola, 20, of Grafton Way, was found guilty in May of the manslaughter of Mr Hassan and the murder of Mr Mohamed last year. Ben Drummond, 20, of Ingestre Road, was found guilty of murdering Mr Mohamed.

Opening the trial today at the Old Bailey, prosecutor Julian Evans, described how a group of young men “embarked upon a series of violent attacks” in Camden and Hackney.

The five incidents took place over two hours using two different stolen vehicles – a silver series 3 BMW and a dark blue Ford Transit van.

Mr Evans said: “These two young men had been stabbed in the street. They both died from their injuries they sustained in those attacks. They had been set upon by people armed with knives, both had been attacked without provocation.”

A forensic tent at the scene in Bartholomew Road

The court heard how the first was in Aldenham Street, Somers Town, where two young men were chased, one suffered a stab wound to the back.

The BMW then drove to Kentish Town, where Mr Hassan was stabbed to death in Bartholomew Road. One of the wounds was 10cm deep. This attack was not caught on CCTV.

The prosecution alleged Mr Temenu, known as ‘Skelly’ or ‘Skelli’, was involved in these two incidents. Mr Evans said Mr Temenu said at the earlier trial he was in the BMW in Somers Town but was being given a lift to a vigil for Lewis Blackman, a Camden 19-year-old who was stabbed to death days earlier in Earl’s Court.

He claimed two other men got out of the car in Somers Town and did not know what they were doing. He said he got out of the vehicle before Mr Hassan was attacked.

A group then gathered on the Peckwater Estate in Kentish Town. A witness said she heard them say “let’s go to Tottenham, no, no, let’s go to Hackney”.

Mr Evans said the van then travelled to Pembury Circus in Hackney where seven men got out, some armed with knives and approached a group of young men. He said all ran away expect one who was punched and kicked to the ground.

They then got back into the van before an incident in North Road in Islington where another man was chased, he told jurors.

Just after 10pm, the van pulled over on Prince of Wales Road where Mr Mohamed and another man were chased. Mr Mohamed climbed into a parked car and asked the driver to “go” but the driver thought she was being robbed so got out of the vehicle, jurors were told.

He was then dragged out of the car and stabbed several times, including one wound which was 12cm deep. This attack was caught on CCTV.

Sadiq Mohamed

Mr Evans claimed Mr Lunghy, know as ‘Gambino’ or ‘Bino’, was involved in the incidents in the van.

Mr Lunghy, who was living in Tottenham at the time, denies any involvement that night and says he went to a shop on Bartholomew Road before attending a vigil for Mr Blackman on the Peckwater Estate. Mr Evans said his case is that he then went to a shop and then on to Hampstead.

In the following days, the van was found with fire damage in Kentish Town and the BMW was found near Mr Popoola’s address.

Mr Evans told the jury how Mr Lunghy travelled to France after the incidents nearly two years ago.

He said: “He was wanted by police on suspicion of involvement in the events of February 20. He was arrested there and he was returned to this country and since he has been charged.”

Mr Temenu faces two other charges of wounding with intent and attempted wounding. Mr Lunghy is also charged with violent disorder.

At the previous trial, Popoola, of Grafton Way, was also found guilty of unlawful wounding and violent disorder. Drummond, of Ingestre Road, was also convicted of violent disorder.

JJ Fatuga, 20, from Camden, was cleared of Mr Mohamed’s murder and violent disorder. Christian Thomas, 20, from Camden, was cleared of Mr Hassan’s murder as well as wounding with intent and attempted wounding.

The trial, expected to last four weeks, continues.

Categories

Share this story

Post a comment

,